How can you study abroad as a Chinese student? There are thousands of universities open worldwide accepting Chinese students at all degree levels, and Chinese students have made their mark in universities from Australia to Europe. Even if you took the NCEE/高考, you are still able to study abroad!
Whether you want to study a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD, here is everything you need to know to begin your study abroad journey!
Why Should Chinese Students Study Abroad?
- Explore other cultures
- Offline classes are open to international students
- Gain overseas experience to help build a future career
- Create international connections
- Learn a new language
- Improve your English to a native level
- Earn a prestigious degree
- Open up opportunities to get a work visa overseas
- Discover new foods, music, and literature
- Grow your adaptability, resilience, and self-confidence
- Intern abroad to boost your CV
- Make lifelong friends from different backgrounds
- Challenge yourself with new ideas and experiences!
Where can Chinese study abroad during Covid?
We have a guide that shows which countries are open to international students and giving student visas: Where can I study? Global COVID Admissions Updates
Chinese students are known for having good grades and excellent educational backgrounds. Chinese students are among the largest groups of students to study abroad anywhere in the world! You will find universities are welcoming and prepared to accept Chinese students and help you succeed.
How to Prepare to Study Abroad
If you want to study abroad as a Chinese student, you will need to begin your research and preparations early! You will need to first choose a destination.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself as you decide which country to study in:
- What language do you want to study in?
- Which climate do you want to study in–warm all year, or with a cold winter?
- How far away from home do you want to study?
- What is your budget to study abroad?
- Do you want to study in a country with a large Chinese population, or immerse yourself in a different culture?
- What subjects do you want to study?
If you can’t decide where to study abroad, you can book a free call with us to discuss your options:
Can I study abroad if I took the NCEE/Gaokao/高考?
Yes, Chinese students can still study abroad if you only took the gaokao. If you have a Tier 1 gaokao score, some universities may accept this as proof of English fluency. However, you may still need to take an English exam like TOEFL or IELTS for countries that don’t accept the gaokao as an English exam.
In China, the gaokao is the most important college entrance criteria. However, other countries will not only look at test scores. They may also look at your overall high school grades, your extracurriculars, and your personal statement application essays. If you know you want to study abroad, remember to develop your extracurricular clubs and hobbies in addition to the gaokao score.
Prepare Grades and Test Scores
You will need to monitor your grades and make sure that you are passing all your classes. Most universities will not accept students with less than a 70% average score. If you want to study an advanced subject like medicine, chemistry, or engineering, you will need high grades in mathematics and science courses.
What are the exams required for Chinese students to study abroad?
You will first need an English exam if you want to study in English. We recommend you choose one of the following and meet the basic score requirements:
- TOEFL (minimum score of 80 on the internet based test)
- IELTS (minimum score of 6)
- Cambridge C1/C2 exam (minimum score 170)
- Duolingo English Test (minimum score 100)
If you took the NCEE/高考, some universities may accept this score as proof of your English skill level. But you may still have to take an additional English exam.
To get advice on your eligibility to study abroad, you can book a free call with us here:
Documents Chinese Students Need to Study Abroad
You will need to prepare the following documents to study abroad:
- Transcripts from previous degrees
- Diplomas from previous degrees
- Personal statement essay
- Application form for the university
- Language proficiency certification (TOEFL or IELTS for English, or your target country’s language exam)
- National Test scores (NCEE/高考, SAT, AP, ACT, GRE, A-Levels, IB diploma, etc)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Entrance exams for your university
A transcript is the record of all your courses and final scores in the courses from your previous educational experience.
Diplomas are the graduate certificates.
Letters of Recommendation should be written by your secondary school guidance counselors, teachers, professors, or thesis supervisors. They should be academic figures who know you well.
You may also need the following documents:
- A bank statement showing you have enough funds to study
- Certificate of scholarship receipt and funding
- Vaccination certificate
- Any other essays required by the university
- An art portfolio for art/design courses
Scholarships for Chinese Students to Study Abroad
YES, there are thousands of scholarships available for Chinese to study abroad! There are three basic types:
- University Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the university. They will decide which students get scholarships by looking at your application materials. These scholarships usually go to students with excellent grades, unique achievements in their extracurriculars, or to students with extreme financial difficulty.
- Government Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the governments of the country you will go study. You can find the information on the government’s website or their ministry of education. You usually will need to fill out a separate application form and send it to the government institution.
- Private Scholarships
These are scholarships offered by private organizations, such as: private donors, religious organizations, museums, research institutes, etc. You can find these scholarships online with a bit of searching, and have to send a separate application form to apply.
Learn more and apply here: Global Scholarship Guide
Find a Program and Apply
Once you have prepared good grades and test scores, and picked which countries to apply to, it’s time to find a program and submit your application documents.
On Global Admissions, this is very easy. With one platform, you can apply to universities all around the world by submitting one application package!
Here are the steps
- Book a free call with us to talk about your plans here.
- Find a program to apply for on Global Admissions here.
- Upload your application documents onto our platform.
- We will contact you if anything needs to be fixed.
- We will send your documents to the university.
- Receive your acceptance to study abroad!