Do you want to study in the United States of America (US)? This country, one of the largest in the world, is one of the top destinations for international students, with over 1 million students from other countries choosing to pursue higher education there.
The US also has some of the largest number of universities and among the greatest diversity of programs. With over 5,300 universities, you can definitely find the perfect option for you and your studies.
US universities are among the top-ranked in the world and a model for higher education worldwide. Almost 25% of the top 200 universities in the world are located in the US. This makes a US degree extremely valuable in every country, as the prestige of US education is globally renowned.
How can you study in the US? Get ready with our admissions guide here!
15 Reasons to Study in the USA
- World leader in elite higher education
- Top country for graduate employability
- Highest investment in universities
- High average salary for graduates, beginning from $55,000+ USD
- Study opportunities in cities, suburbs, and rural areas
- Incredibly diverse society
- Freedom of speech and religion
- World-class research opportunities
- Specialize in 1000s of majors
- Unique schools such as art, music, culinary, religious, etc
- 10,000s of scholarships available
- Beautiful natural landscapes from east to west
- Work-study opportunities
- Immerse yourself in a globally influential culture
- Liberal-arts curriculum for well-rounded graduates
Study in the USA Admissions Timeline
The USA university school year runs from September to May, with a three-month summer break and short winter break, usually over Christmas into January. Applications for US universities are usually due a year before the academic year begins (even transfer applications). Thus, if you want to study in the USA in the fall of 2023, you should apply in the fall of 2022.
Cost of Living and Tuition in the USA
The US is one of the three largest countries in the world, and it has a huge diversity of living areas, costs, and tuition prices.
Additionally, each state in the US is free to set their own laws, so you may find that prices are very different from state to state.
Generally, living in large cities will always be more expensive than living in a small town or rural area. However, outside of cities there is very little public transport in the United States as most people use cars. If you want to study or live in a small town/rural area, you need to consider additional transportation costs/restrictions if you do not have a car or a US drivers license.
Here are some popular universities and their undergraduate tuition prices, as well as the cities they are located in and the cost of living there.
US universities are often among the most expensive in the world, you can find cheaper options or pursue scholarships/financial aid to help cover the cost of attendance. Scholarships are often the best way for students to graduate from US universities without any debt.
How to Pick a US University
With over 5,300+ universities in the United States, how can you find a university that is right for you?
US universities fall into several categories. It is also important to note that in the US, college and university are the same thing. In some countries, “college” means “secondary school” or “high school,” but in the US these terms are used interchangeably.
There are basically three main types of university, and many smaller types…
- State/Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Community Colleges
- Religious Universities
- Women’s Universities
- Art, Culinary, Music Universities
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)–popular among Black/African descent students
While you are researching universities in the US, you should answer these questions first…
- Do you want to study in a city, small town, or rural environment?
- Do you want a large or small student body?
- What is your tuition budget?
- Do your grades and test scores meet the minimum requirements?
- What do you want to major in?
- What schools have the best departments for your major?
- Do you want a university with lots of school spirit and sports?
- Or, do you want a quieter, academic experience?
You can search for US universities on Global Admissions–we are adding new programs every day!
You can also use these resources:
Apply to US Universities
You can search universities and apply on Global Admissions.
It’s easy to apply–
- Make an account on Global Admissions
- Choose a program to apply to here, or add a program not listed
- Submit the required application materials
- Get feedback from our admissions counselors
- We will help submit your application package to the university
- Get accepted into your dream school!
Get personalized help from our award-winning team: Book a Free Call here!
Have any questions about studying in the US? Leave us a comment on this article!